Like Us on Facebook


ESL English School Chicago area



SEVIS I-20 and F-1 Visa Advising

General Information about SEVIS I-20, Applying for F-1 Visa and Maintaining F-1 Status


Many thanks for showing your interest in Ivy E & E Institute (aka Chicago Ivy College) where you can get help to make your dreams come true!  The school is committed to providing an excellent educational environment for foreign students to pursue their dreams of becoming global leaders. 


Ivy has more than 18 year history of success, since 1995, in achieving students’ academic dreams – improving their English skills and entering prestigious U.S. universities.  Ivy has been certified by the U.S. government to issue the SEVIS I-20 for qualified international (F-1 visa) students.  Ivy provides student-oriented instructions in small classes at affordable tuition.  Here at Ivy, our students have free access to our computers, parking, and complimentary coffee on every school day.


In general, if you are a non-resident of the United States, you need to obtain an F-1 visa before you start taking classes at Ivy. To obtain your F-1 visa, you need to receive your SEVIS I-20 from Ivy.


Step 1: Send your application for admission to Ivy.

Step 2: Once your I-20 is issued by Ivy (you have been accepted!), pay a $200 SEVIS (I-901) fee (as of summer 2013) at Print your receipt and keep it.


The SEVIS I-20 form, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student, is a kind of admission (acceptance) document issued from the school (Ivy).


Step 3: Obtain your F-1 visa which will be issued by the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.             

Step 3A: How to obtain your F-1 visa (international student visa) at U.S embassy in your home country.  Visit and fill out DS-160.

For more information about the U.S. embassy or consulate location, visit

For more information on “How to Navigate the U.S. Immigration System” visit                 

Step 3B:  How to file change your status (COS) to F-1 (if you are already in the U.S. with other visa).  Visit Ivy Office with all required documents.


They (US Embassy or US CIS) will ask you questions about the reason why you go to America (or why you want to change your status from B, J or other visa to F visa) and how you will support your living and education while you study at Ivy, etc.


Step 4: Upon arrival to the United States (Chicago), you should immediately contact Ivy Office to register for classes and complete necessary process to enroll you in the SEVIS system. Bring all immigration documents (passport, I-20, visa stamp, etc.) with you when you visit Ivy Office. 

See you at Ivy Office!


For more information on “Maintaining Your Status” visit



For more info:                  Phone: 1-(847)-541-1525 or 564-1525           Fax: 1-847-541-1079